Thursday, 26 November 2009

Back to New Zealand!! 19th Nov - 26th Nov

So I was supposed to work a night shift on the Wednesday finishing at 7am, flying out of Vancouver at 2.30pm that day. Turns out I was able to get the night off and therefore was able to pack, spend the night with Cam and get a good nights sleep before my travelling adventures the next day.

19th November was flying day. Cam said goodbye and headed off to work, I was so excited and worried about travelling and getting to all my connecting flights that I couldn't sleep anymore. Thought I may as well get up and get ready for my long travel. As flights only go direct to NZ on Fridays and Sundays I had to get a flight to LA and then on to New Zealand. So packed and ready to go I carted my 2 suitcases, 6 or so blocks down the road in the rain to the train station. I couldn't quite hold the umbrella as well, so got a little bit wet on the way. I made it to the airport with plenty of time to spare, so could go through to the gate and relax for a while. I had all my bridesmaid stuff with me as carry on, as the wedding was the day I arrived and wanted to have it with me in case my luggage didn't make it all the way there.

Anyway I arrived in Auckland, New Zealand with smooth travelling. I got my connecting flight to Tauranga and arrived there about half an hour prior to time of arrival, feeling very excited and relieved to be there early. Mum, Dad and Carlene picked me up from the airport and we headed to the supermarket before heading home to start the getting ready part of the day. After a series of hugs, hellos and conversation I was able to have a small rest and seat before getting ready for the day. Vanessa's friends were here to help out and do our hair and makeup. Vanessa was in the process of getting her hair done so I took a long awaited shower. Its amazing how great you can feel after a shower. Then lunch and I felt even better. After this it was my turn for my hair to be done and makeup time for Vanessa. The morning continued to consist of getting ready, eating and taking photos.

With a near hiccup of not being able to get one of the cars started we headed off in the cars for a tour around to end up at the wedding venue (fashionably late of course!!). The venue was a small park called Bell Common down Cambridge road, very secluded and beautiful under one of the big trees. As I hadn't been home to be involved in the planning I was given my instructions once we arrived. Fairly straight forward except for the heals digging into the grass of course and nearly tripping over. The wedding was beautiful and the weather held out nicely for it, I have heard that the best photos are when its overcast anyway.

After speeches, vows and several tears shed they were pronounced married, after the register was signed it was time for some well earned drinks, nibbles and chatter (not to forget a little dancing with the flower girls). People gathered for several photos and then after an hour or so the bridal party was left for more photos at the park. We then headed off to Yatton park for more photos, some drinks and nibbles. It was a very relaxing and stress free time here, luckily the weather held out once again, just starting to spit as we hopped back into the cars.

The reception was held at The Historic Village which made for a beautiful venue for photos. Well actually a great venue all together. The reception went as most others including, food, speeches, laughter and toasts to the bride and groom, Vanessa and Jarrod Boud. With of course an evening of dancing, chit chat and presents. A great day and evening, everything went beautifully and appeared very calm and relaxed. Congratulations once again to the bride and groom.

The bride and groom headed off after the end of the reception curfew, and a few of us decided to continue the night away and headed off to Tauranga town for some drinking and dancing. Man how things have changed, well have they or have I just changed?? I'm sure people never used to do some of the things these young people were doing on the dance floor, I mean get a room, I think your in!! Haha maybe I'm just getting older. Still made for a fun and entertaining night.

Sunday morning I was stuffed, don't know if it was wise flying half way around the world, being at a wedding all day the same day I arrive and staying up till 4.30 in the morning, oh well it was worth it. Sunday was a cruisy day anyway, we lazed around at mum and dads, visitors and relatives came over for lunch and we sat around talking. Most people had left around 3-4pm and just a few of us remained. We headed off that evening to baywave for some hydro-sliding and wave pools. This was great and even more fun when you have young children to take with you, even if you are a little tired and hungover. Think I'm going to be a great Aunty!! Well not the hungover part.

Monday was such a beautiful day and involved several of my favourite things. Mum borrowed Joan's car. We all pilled in including Carlene, Mum, Nicola, Tyler, Hollie, Lochie and myself and headed out to the Mt beach to meet Vanessa and Jarrod for fish and chips on the beach. The day was just stunning except for the small amount of wind. We sat on the bank and had fish n chips, Dad met us briefly in his lunch break also. After this Jarrod entertained the kids down on the beach, while the rest of us basked in the sun. I did go for a swim, well briefly the water was quite cold, well I guess to be expected in November, still can say I had a swim though. We packed up after this and headed to the mount shops and bayfair for a little shopping, well mainly for the kids, I didn't spend too much, except a few Christmas things.












This evening I headed to Cam's parents house for a nice home cooked meal. It was great to catch up with the rest of the family and have a glass of wine. Unfortunately I couldn't see them a little more but the trip was quite brief, I'll be able to spend more time next trip I promise.

After this we went to the hot pools for an evening swim, we didn't have much time arriving at 9pm but it was still great, its the small things you realise you miss being able to just do when ever you want. They have hot springs over here in Canada but just not as accessible. You do trade one thing for another I guess. Makes the experience so much better when you can't have it all the time. It was such a great day, so many great things all mixed into one, family, beach, fish n chips, swimming and fun!!


Tuesday Carlene, Nicola and the kids were leaving. It was sad to see them go, had been so nice catching up with you all. We dropped them all off at the airport and after some sad goodbyes waved them off on the plane. Now that you are over you flying fear Carlene I'm sure we'll be able to see you more. I headed out for lunch and a catch up with Jo, today was another beautiful day and hot, Jo was even wearing a skirt and yes I got to witness it. We had lunch and a catch up on the strand at a restaurant, was very nice thanks Jo. After this I went home and had a rest on the couch in the sun, it had been such a busy last few days and I think it was starting to catch up on me. Trina, Jamie and Alexis came over for a visit on their way home from a walk, we sat out on the deck and ate some snacks and had a few drinks. Lucky we had, had some children here over the last week so and there were still some kids toys available for Alexis to play with, she is growing fast and so cute. Was great to see you all again, can't wait to catch up next time.

Wednesday was a relaxing day with Mum, we headed down town Tauranga to do some Christmas shopping and to have lunch, another beautiful day out, I had been so lucky with my time there, the weather and company had been awesome. We cruised around the shops and sat down for a lunch in a cafe, I got to have a pie which was great. I sat in the car for a little while, while mum got some Christmas presents then we headed home. Blair and Dee came over for dinner that night with Jordan, as well as Vanessa and Jarrod and we had a nice roast meal, just what I needed on my last night here, it was yum!!

Today was leaving day, it had been such a short and action packed trip home I wasn't quite ready to leave. I wrapped up some presents this morning and packed my bags, I wasn't very organised at all, very unlike me, I think I thought I had more time than I did, I only just finished packing my bag with about 10 minutes to spare before we had to leave. We headed off to Tauranga airport. Here I was met by Dad and to my surprise Cam's mum and Alley which was nice. Even though it was still hard, it was easier to leave this time well easier in the fact I didn't ball my eyes out haha. I said my goodbyes and boarded the plane.

My trip back to Vancouver when without delays or problems, my connections worked out fine and if anything the timings were perfect, I did have to wait at Auckland airport for several hours but that was ok as there was an A380 that had stopped so I went and took some videos of that for Cam and his new obsession with planes. I finally boarded the plane and to my surprise it wasn't that full and I got 3 seats to myself which was awesome, got to rest the whole way with my feet up, not that I could sleep much anyway.

I arrived in Vancouver about 5.30pm about and hour before I left New Zealand, so funny how that works, caught the train and Cam meet me at the station to help pull my bags, how nice!! Over all a fantastic trip, beautiful weather and company. So glad I could be there for your special day Vanessa and Jarrod!!

0 comments: